Friday, August 8, 2014

The good with the bad (transplant days -23 through -14)

This week has been long and challenging. I was admitted into the BMT unit at PCH last Thursday to start the pre-transplant regiment. So, I apologize for my lack of posting. The week has been pretty exhausting and I've been pretty out of it.

To catch you all up...
So last Thursday I was admitted and scheduled for my line (broviac) placement. Everything went good and I have a fancy new line on the right side of my chest now. Along with the port. The broviac will hopefully make for a few less pokes, easier blood draws and an easier way to get meds in me through. It's nice...but the down side is no showers and we have to be very very cautious with it so there won't be line infections. The next day I started a chemo called Campath, which killed all of my T-cells. They did a trial run to make sure my body could handle it. I was pre-treated with Benadryl and other meds to prevent reactions...but the Benadryl completely knocked me out for a good chunk of the week. It was actually quite nice. I did Campath the next four days. Chemo can change your taste buds and it sure did that to me. Everything tasted different and nasty... even Diet DP if you can believe it.
I did pretty well with the Campath the first few days, but the last dose I broke out in awful hives. I was covered from head to toe in what looked like giant welts. It was pretty miserable. Thankfully, Benadryl was given and I was knocked out again, lol. The rest of the week went pretty smoothly. I was going to be discharged yesterday (Thursday) but I woke up with hives again that morning, so they had to keep me in. Luckily this morning I woke up feeling a lot better and with no hives, so they were able to let me go home. Home as in an apartment here in phoenix. While we were getting ready to be admitted last Thursday our house flooded and so my doc wouldn't let me go home, home because of the risk of infection. None the less, I'm grateful to be outta pch for a week... away from constant beeping of the monitors, countless meds and be able to be with my family. It's the little things.
I'll be re-admitted this upcoming Thursday for the long stay. It will not be easy, but I know with bad things comes the good. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, I just need to get there.
Dueteronomy 31:6
Be strong and of good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the lord thy god, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
...
 
This week I had so many wonderful visitors, texts, notes, etc and I definitely felt loved. It made the week go a little faster and become a little more bearable. I love you all so much!
 
I'll be back at PCH next week ready to "kick it" a little harder. #KinCanKickIt
 









No comments:

Post a Comment